Learn how you can help get Flint, Mi Clean Water for its people!
FEMA DOESN'T Think It's an Emergency
This may be news to you, but Flint, Michigan doesn't have clean water. I first learned about the crisis during a Rachel Maddow Segment a few weeks ago.
According to NbcNews.Com, The situation dates back to April 2014 when Flint switched water sources to save money. The new supply, from the Flint River, was saltier and flowed through corroded pipes, pulling lead into the system
President Barack Obama declared a state of emergency on Saturday, after the White House issued a release calling for FEMA to, "save lives." But, according to FEMA, "A major disaster declaration is used after a "natural event" like a tornado earthquake or landslide, or after an explosion, fire or flood regardless of cause," said Governor Rick Snyder.
How you can Do SomeThing About It!
1. Donate to one of the dozens of Churches in Michigan rallying for the cause. It only takes a couple dollars to get a bottle of water. I found the church above just by searching on Twitter!
2. If you have a car, $100, and a group of very nice friends, you could make a trip to Flint with water cases and volunteers to help distribute clean water to residents. There are a lot of businesses, and organizations, including greek life, that are already making moves out there. You'd Probably have to coordinate with one beforehand, but there is a great opportunity for community organizers to come together and actually help people. For instance, Flint is only 5 hours away From Chicago, so It would be somewhat easy to plan a volunteer road Trip to the city. Think about it—you'd be helping thousands of people who don't have clean water, a job FEMA doesn't even want to do. Feel free to send me an email if you'd be interested.
3. SPREAD THE WORD! If you have any type of influence online and feel strongly about what's going on in Flint, say something about it! If you can't give a dollar, give a voice to the cause:
- tweet, Rt, Post, and Share links
- Tell your friends and classmates to share, too
- plan a drive with your local Church or community center
- if you donate, let your following know